February 11th, 2005


Previous Entry Next Entry
12:32 pm - can you be bought out of your ethical dietary decisions?
This is mostly for the vegetarians who read this, but really, anyone who has input, I'd love to hear it.

How much would someone have to pay you to make you eat meat?

I saw an episode of Survivor once, where they were doing the obligatory nasty food challenge. The contestants had to spin the wheel and eat whatever it landed on, and some of the stuff was like bugs and live worms and whatnot, and then there was some stuff like an apple and a burger if you got lucky.

Anyway, there was this one girl who said she was a vegan and it landed on a fish or something, and she refused to eat it, and the other contestants were all "I had to eat a worm, and this bitch is mad about having to eat a fish? What the hell?" And I was at home watching and thinking, "Ummmm... there's a million dollars on the line, what are you fucking nuts?"

Then, another time, I saw an episode of Fear Factor, where there was a girl who was allergic to milk (like I am), and they had a challenge where you had to suck milk directly out of the cow and spit it into a glass and fill it up. The girl did it without hesitation, and the the host asked her "but, you're allergic, why would you do that?" and she pointed out there was $50,000 on the line and fuck getting sick. I was like "hell yeah."

So anyway, would you suspend your ethical (or allergic) diet for a guaranteed payoff? What about for a chance at one? How much would it have to be in either case?

Current Mood: [mood icon] curious
Current Music: Family Business by Kanye West

(53 comments | Leave a comment)

 
can you be bought out of your ethical dietary decisions? - graffiti.maverick

• Recent Entries
• Friends
• Archive
> ChrisMaverick dot com
• profile


Art & Photography
> 365 Days of Mav
> Elseworld.com
> Mav's Flickr Stream
> MavTV (youtube)
> Party Nook

Wrestling
> International Males
> IWC Wrestling
> BDW Wrestling
> CWF Wrestling

Other
> 1KWFFH
> Mav's DVD Library
> Verdandi (currently down)
> Mav's Schedule (currently down)
> Mav's MySpace
chrismaverick. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Comments:


From: gothfru Date: February 11th, 2005 - 10:11 am (Link)
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 10:33 am (Link)
see, I don't think drinking milk would kill me outright. It makes me have ashtma attacks, so I could probably do it for a bit. And really, $50,000. Is my life even worth that. :-)
[User Picture]From: sui66iy Date: February 11th, 2005 - 10:18 am (Link)
How much are you offering?
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 10:34 am (Link)
dude... I'm picking up your girlfriend at the bus station. I demand that you chow down on a burger right now.
From: sui66iy Date: February 11th, 2005 - 10:49 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 10:59 am (Link)
From: sui66iy Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:05 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:21 am (Link)
From: dcalle Date: February 11th, 2005 - 10:20 am (Link)

Oh, easily.

...but I don't believe it is unethical to kill and eat animals. I have many reasons for being a vegetarian, but the primary one is that I don't want to support the mass-market meat industry and all its attendant cruelty, environmental impact, health problems, etc. Eating one meal of meat, even if it was purchased from "Factory Farms R Us - overusing antibiotics since 1958", isn't going to affect anything overly much. I'm sure my body would be pretty unhappy about it, because I haven't eaten meat in years, but I could deal.

I am as strict with myself as I am because it's easier psychologically to eat no meat than to eat very little meat (slippery slope). Also, it makes more of a point...for example, vegetarians have an impact on what restaurants will serve because a vegetarian won't walk into a restaurant that has no vegetarian options. An occasional meat eater can walk into any restaurant because, if there are no veggie options or even if the veggie options aren't any good, they can still find something to eat....so their impact on the bottom line is much less.

Let's see....I don't think $100 would be enough....it's not worth breaking a good track record....but I'd probably do it for less than $1000. Maybe $500?

For a chance at money...well...I'd just view it statistically. A 50% chance of winning $1000....a 1% chance of winning $50,000, etc.

And it depends on how much I'm being asked to eat...a bite would be cheaper than a whole worm-sandwich, and it'd take a lot of money to for me to be a carnivore for a day.

However, in defense of the vegan - vegans are different - way different. To put it fairly simply, most vegans consider animals to be people too. They equate killing an animal with murder, and keeping animals for their products (milk, eggs, honey, etc.) as slavery. Would you eat human meat for money? Would you drink human milk if it came from women locked up in giant factory farms hooked up to milking machines and forced to lactate with hormones and drugs and whose children are locked in tiny pens like dog crates so their meat stays tender so it can be sold as a delicacy? How much money would that take?

So I'm not surprised a vegan wouldn't eat animal even for a chance to win a lot of money.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 10:40 am (Link)

Re: Oh, easily.

for the right price I absolutely would eat human flesh. Anyway, to complicate your story a bit, the girl lost that particular turn because she was unable to get herself to eat the fish. On the next round she did make herself eat a bug though. So really, its not so cut and dry as "I can't eat any animal at any cost."

As for your statistics Fear Factor is (usually) 8 people trying for $50,000, so well within your odds.

Survivor on the other hand is 16 people going for $1million, but what's more, there are consolation prizes along the way. IIRC, the runner up gets $100K. And even the first person eliminated gets $2500, for their threedays of island hardship. Everyone else is somewhere inbetween, so yeah, its probably well within your cut-off.
[User Picture]From: sui66iy Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:11 am (Link)

Re: Oh, easily.

(Disclaimer: leather-jacket-wearing non-vegan speaking)

Yeah, but it can't be just "random dead person" meat. For the ethical parallel to be exact, it has to be a person who was murdered in cold blood for the sole purpose of being eaten by you. So, if you stick to your guns, you've just said you will be the cause of the murder of an innocent person "for the right price."

As for bugs, presumably she doesn't consider them people. That's no more inconsistent than not considering bacteria or fruit people... you have to draw the line somewhere.
From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:18 am (Link)

Re: Oh, easily.

From: sui66iy Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:41 am (Link)

Re: Oh, easily.

From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:42 am (Link)

Re: Oh, easily.

From: dcalle Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:22 am (Link)

Human flesh, huh?

From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:41 am (Link)

Re: Human flesh, huh?

From: vixendarkfairy Date: February 12th, 2005 - 01:55 am (Link)

Re: Human flesh, huh?

From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 08:22 am (Link)

Re: Human flesh, huh?

From: vixendarkfairy Date: February 12th, 2005 - 03:02 pm (Link)

Re: Human flesh, huh?

From: vixendarkfairy Date: February 12th, 2005 - 02:01 am (Link)

Re: Human flesh, huh?

From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 08:24 am (Link)

Re: Human flesh, huh?

From: vixendarkfairy Date: February 12th, 2005 - 03:07 pm (Link)

Re: Human flesh, huh?

From: blk Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:25 am (Link)

Re: Oh, easily.

From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:43 am (Link)

Re: Oh, easily.

From: saturniakitty Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:02 am (Link)
It would take a lot of money for me. Not only do I think it's unethical, but it would also make me very sick.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:45 am (Link)
How much money is a lot? I know... its a vague question and a hard one to answer when its theoretical... sort of like "would you sleep with Robert Redford for $1million." But still...

also, why would it make you sick? You mean psychologically because you think its gross, or physically because you haven't eaten meat in a long time? Or an allergy or something else?
From: saturniakitty Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:47 am (Link)
Uh I guess at the very least $10,000. It'd make me sick since I haven't eaten meat in over 11 years.
From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:51 am (Link)
From: zare_k Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:19 am (Link)
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:48 am (Link)
ok, that argument I actually find quite sensible. The not wanting to be seen violating your principals thing. I don't know why it makes more sense to me than the just not willing to do it argument, but what can I say? I'm funny that way. I also appreciate that you acknowledge that there is still a payoff where you're willing to do it.
[User Picture]From: jameel Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:20 am (Link)
If someone offered me $50K to eat a pork chop, my father would rise from the grave and slap me if I refused.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 11:50 am (Link)
Yep, ol' Jebediah al Khafiz understood that there are times when the lord wants you to make exceptions. Good to know that he was willing to beat that understanding into you.
[User Picture]From: jameel Date: February 11th, 2005 - 12:22 pm (Link)
Nah, he never laid a hand on me, but I'd imagine that rising from the grave just because I did something colossally stupid would make him a bit cranky....
From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 12:30 pm (Link)
[User Picture]From: marmal8 Date: February 11th, 2005 - 01:54 pm (Link)
Hot damn! You mean you'd pay me to eat meat? This sounds like an excellent opportunity. I think I'll declare myself a vegan this very minute so I can start cashing in.

The only meat I don't eat right now is pork. Well, pork and meats that are hard to come by, like human flesh, worms, and so forth. I'd eat bacon or souvlaki for $5. Other pork would probably cost more. Like at least $100.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 11th, 2005 - 02:10 pm (Link)
ummm, no I won't... but maybe if you say that on your application to fear factor, you might have a shot.
[User Picture]From: limpingpigeon Date: February 11th, 2005 - 03:00 pm (Link)
I don't think I have any real ethical food aversions. In order for me to not eat something for ethical reasons, it would probably have to be something endangered or human. I don't think I'd ever be able to eat people without going insane from guilt. So I don't think I'd eat human for any reason.

Endangered species is another story, though. While I would be ethically opposed to eating something endangered, I probably would if the price was right and I didn't have to worry about any legal consequences. I don't know how much it would have to be, but it would have to be a lot. A "you could retire early and comfortably right now if you eat this" amount.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 12:49 am (Link)
hmm... what about the famous survivor of a plane crash thing. Could you resort to cannibalism as the only means of survival in the lack of other food?
From: vixendarkfairy Date: February 12th, 2005 - 02:07 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 08:19 am (Link)
From: vixendarkfairy Date: February 12th, 2005 - 03:00 pm (Link)
From: limpingpigeon Date: February 12th, 2005 - 07:47 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 08:25 am (Link)
[User Picture]From: kenoubi Date: February 11th, 2005 - 09:04 pm (Link)
Probably about $100. I've been vegetarian my whole life, and I now make an exception for seafood (especially sushi) when I've been drinking, but I find meat pretty disgusting. I think eating a worm or eating a piece of beef would probably be about equally gross to me. I don't have any ethical issues with either.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 12:50 am (Link)
wow... compared to the other vegetarians who answered, you're goign pretty cheap.
[User Picture]From: kenoubi Date: February 12th, 2005 - 06:13 am (Link)
Well, I think most of them have at least some ethical issue with it. For me, that's totally irrelevant—it's just an issue of taste.

I should point out, though, that unless I'm allowed to 1) have some alcohol before eating it or 2) vomit immediately afterward, preferably both, there would be a low probability of my succeeding.
From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 08:27 am (Link)
[User Picture]From: ngakmafaery Date: February 12th, 2005 - 09:25 am (Link)

I wandered in from a mutual friend's journal...

...and have been vegetarian for almost twenty-four years. I just wouldn't do it, except if the dead cow or whatever appeared bfore me in a buddhaform and say, "listen, my dear, I'm already dead, and you could do a lot of good with this money, and no one is trying to manipulate you'. I was stuck on top of a mountain once with a bitchy female and a nice guy, and the chick put meat on akll the remaining food, just to try to control me and force me to eat it, and I did without food for four frigging days just to make it clear that I can't be forced by jerks. If someone said, 'oh, my human brother died, and if you have a brother burger I'll give you four million dollars and not make a big deal out of it, and I don't mind if you do it or not', then I might just do it if appropriate. *shrug* I'm buddhist, so every situation had its proper, or appropriate, own energy...
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 11:28 am (Link)

Re: I wandered in from a mutual friend's journal...

ok, I don't follow... you said you couldn't then you said you could...
[User Picture]From: ngakmafaery Date: February 12th, 2005 - 11:58 am (Link)

Re: I wandered in from a mutual friend's journal...

It's the principles part. If someone says something like, 'ha, I bet I can buy you, bitch, and prove you'll sell out', then they can wait forever and I won't do it. If the situation is more like no one is trying to buy me or force me or coerce me, but there might be genuine benefit to be gained by it, then that is a different scenario. Do you get the difference? Like taking a job, or having sex, or getting drunk, or moving across the country because you want to versus because someone is forcing you to...
From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 02:03 pm (Link)

Re: I wandered in from a mutual friend's journal...

From: ngakmafaery Date: February 12th, 2005 - 02:24 pm (Link)

Re: I wandered in from a mutual friend's journal...

From: chrismaverick Date: February 12th, 2005 - 02:28 pm (Link)

Re: I wandered in from a mutual friend's journal...

 

• Go to Top
LiveJournal.com