March 1st, 2006


Previous Entry Next Entry
07:17 pm - Is this picture funny?

Emma Watson
That ain't butter beer...
So, when suicideking posted this image earlier, I found it hilarious. Almost everyone I talked to found it hilarious. However for reasons I don't understand, the lovely beststephi and the delightful nowishere both just thought it was kinda blah. I so totally don't understand. It's Emma Watson1, TV's2 Hermione Granger, drinking a Corona.

So I ask you noble reader, is this not the very definition of humor? Why or why not?


1: For the record, I'd like to point out that I used decorum and refrained from using any adjectives to describe the physical appearance of Ms. Watson and my opinions or preferences thereof. Suffice it to say, I think its quite reasonable to announce that Ms, Watson will TMA in 45 days in her native land.
2: Yes I realize she is actually film's Hermione Granger, but at least one of the Harry Potter films has been on TV, and I think TV's Hermione just has this lovely ring to it. Kinda like TV's Frank.

(62 comments | Leave a comment)

 
Is this picture funny? - graffiti.maverick

• Recent Entries
• Friends
• Archive
> ChrisMaverick dot com
• profile


Art & Photography
> 365 Days of Mav
> Elseworld.com
> Mav's Flickr Stream
> MavTV (youtube)
> Party Nook

Wrestling
> International Males
> IWC Wrestling
> BDW Wrestling
> CWF Wrestling

Other
> 1KWFFH
> Mav's DVD Library
> Verdandi (currently down)
> Mav's Schedule (currently down)
> Mav's MySpace
chrismaverick. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Comments:


[User Picture]From: garote Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:05 am (Link)
I say yes. Because it's all over the internet. >:)
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:11 am (Link)
yep... Thanx for answering. How did you find me? we don't seem to have any friends in common.
From: garote Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:22 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:30 am (Link)
[User Picture]From: wooble Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:21 am (Link)
no, it's not particularly funny.

Assuming she's in the UK in the photo, she's only 45 days, rather than 5+ years, away from that being perfectly legal, too.

Prudish American.
[User Picture]From: garote Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:25 am (Link)
You know what's even funnier? That you would know it's "45 days". >:D
From: wooble Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:28 am (Link)
From: garote Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:33 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:36 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:55 am (Link)
From: wooble Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 12:51 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 12:57 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:34 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:33 am (Link)
From: wooble Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 02:17 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 02:39 pm (Link)
From: wooble Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 02:52 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 03:26 pm (Link)
[User Picture]From: cyaneyed Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:21 am (Link)

i wouldn't call it funny persay.

i _think_ understand the amusement factor 'cause she plays the icon for smart responsible girls everywhere, and here she is drinking like an adult.... the picture of irresponsibilty.

but the thing that makes it boring for me is, she's just like anyone else her age (16) in her country (england), she's of legal drinking age and is probably pretty well chaperoned and most likely drinking responsibly, unlike the image that might be interpretted in this country of "wild/crazy irresponsible underaged hot drinking girl."
[User Picture]From: garote Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:26 am (Link)

Re: i wouldn't call it funny persay.

You may be over-analyzing. Isn't it funny just because it's here, in your web browser window, and you know who it is?
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:42 am (Link)

Re: i wouldn't call it funny persay.

From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:41 am (Link)

Re: i wouldn't call it funny persay.

[User Picture]From: sexyhockihoochi Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:22 am (Link)
You know, I have no clue who that is. I've never read/seen anything involved with Harry Potter (or Star Wars or LOTR or anything sci-fi ish...except Mars Attacks which was so bad that it was hilarious). If I wasn't sick I'd ramble more but I need more NyQuil...
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:47 am (Link)
you know really, I can forgive not seeing LOTR. That'a big time commitment. But not seeing Star Wars? I mean, I'm not saying you have to be a geek or anything. I'm not saying you have see all 3 originals. And I'm certainly not recommending you go out of your way to see the recent 3. But the first one? I mean, in my world they make you watch that in order to graduate from highschool. Once you're feeling better we're really going to have to get you some culture.
From: sexyhockihoochi Date: March 4th, 2006 - 06:30 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 4th, 2006 - 09:31 pm (Link)
[User Picture]From: jetgrrl01 Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:25 am (Link)
The only reason I think it's funny is because of her expression. I don't really care that she's drinking or that she's uptight Hermione and drinking... it's just that she looks like she's exageratedly doing so for effect and... well, it's the eyes, man! She's got a funny look on her face and it makes me laugh!
[User Picture]From: garote Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:29 am (Link)
Exactly ... this is one of those photos where roll our collective eyes and say, with resignation, "Pfff. Actors."
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:56 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:48 am (Link)
From: jeremiahblatz Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 03:54 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:07 pm (Link)
[User Picture]From: cyaneyed Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:28 am (Link)

sidenote:

holy crap did you know she can speak French, Italian and German fluently?!?!

i know, i know, lots of kids from europe can, but i'm still way impressed.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:49 am (Link)

Re: sidenote:

yeah... we americans are even stupider than we are prudish(see above)
[User Picture]From: marmal8 Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:39 am (Link)
It's mildly smirk-worthy because of the odd angle of the bottle and the expression on her face. But the fact that Emma Watson is drinking is humdrum.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:50 am (Link)
See, I disagree... I think its funny for both reasons. But at least you recognize there is humor there.
From: genericman Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:54 am (Link)
Having never seen any Harry Potter movies I didn't really find the picture funny... non-famous kids her age post far dumber stuff on their own myspace profiles.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:52 am (Link)
as stated above, she's actually essentially an adult in her homeland. So it wouldn't even be scandalous for her to post such a picture.
[User Picture]From: lacechenault Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:14 am (Link)
I didn't even know that was her until you mentioned "Hermione", and I guess that made it a little funny.....but I wouldn't say hilarious

I can't give a good reason why not...I mean just because it's that chick from harry potter it's funny?....Maybe if it was Haley Joel Osment.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:54 am (Link)
Not hilarious? Even with my caption? "That's not butter beer." Come on! That's comedy gold!
From: cuddlyd00m Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 08:20 am (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 12:52 pm (Link)
From: cuddlyd00m Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 12:59 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 01:02 pm (Link)
[User Picture]From: rmitz Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 06:23 am (Link)
It's somewhat amusing, but I'd say it's more cute than funny.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 12:55 pm (Link)
I'll accept cute. TMAable girls can certainly be cute before they actually TMA. But be careful walking that line.
[User Picture]From: mokatz Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 02:47 pm (Link)
I would actually say "Hollywood's Hermione Granger." That has a nice, old school, 1940s, Ingrid Bergman sort of ring to it.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 03:30 pm (Link)
I actually did think of that one, but I decided its really not appropriate since that movie isn't really from Hollywood at all.
[User Picture]From: limpingpigeon Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 03:28 pm (Link)
I think it's somewhat funny, because of the posing. It's like someone was about to take her picture, and she was all "no, wait, make sure this photo makes it clear that I'm drinking a Corona!"

Also, because it's posed as if she were trying to drink it by absorbing it through her top row of teeth.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 03:37 pm (Link)
From: jeremiahblatz Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 03:56 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:08 pm (Link)
From: limpingpigeon Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 06:01 pm (Link)
From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 06:06 pm (Link)
[User Picture]From: jacquez Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:30 pm (Link)
I don't find it funny.

I've seen it linked a lot as an example of underage drinking, and humorous at least partly for that reason. But she's in the UK, where if you are 16, you can buy beer with a meal (and she's clearly somewhere that serves food). So it's pretty much the equivalent of a picture of a 20-year-old American actress with a beer, and I just don't get why that's funny.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 2nd, 2006 - 04:50 pm (Link)
Since you're such an HP fan, I'll actually go out of my way to summarize a lot of what's above (and since I've passed 50 comments, is now sadly collapsed and harder to read).

Basically, its funny for a couple reasons. 1) the look on her face. Drunk people look silly sometimes.
2) As Hermione she is the idol to millions of 10 year old girls all over America. The fact she's legal isn't relevant. Its just like when Xuxa got knocked for doing kiddie porn, despite the fact that at the time and in the place that the film in question was made, she was doing nothing in the slightest bit illegal.

Summarizing the british laws. Watson is 15 currently. In the UK she can legally drink in a pub/restaurant at 14, so long as its with a meal (as you said, she clearly appears to be at a meal). She'll be legal to just order a beer alone after her birthday next month, so yes, worst case scneario, she's just drinking a beer a month too early. Not something unnusual. But she is a celebrity, and as with Lindsay Lohan before her, its not surprising that she's going to take flack for something normal kids just do.

Of course I also stated several places above that personally, I don't think she's doing anything wrong. I think that at 15, your entirely capable of understanding alcohol and making the decision of whether you want to drink some or not (and I feel the same way about sex, which though not relevant to the picture, came up in the discussion as well)
[User Picture]From: raia Date: March 4th, 2006 - 02:53 am (Link)

you are all missing an obvious point

That is not a picture of Emma Watson drinking a Corona. That is a picture of Emma Watson hamming for the camera. Nobody hoists a beer to their gullet (even a Brit hoisting a Corona) at the neck with their pinky finger extended, if they are intent on drinking it.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: March 4th, 2006 - 09:28 pm (Link)

Re: you are all missing an obvious point

eh...I agree she's hamming it up for the camera. She's a goofy 15 year old girl. As pointed out to limpingpigeon above, we all kinda ham it up for the camera a tad when we're holding a drink
From: raia Date: March 5th, 2006 - 01:08 am (Link)

Re: you are all missing an obvious point

From: chrismaverick Date: March 5th, 2006 - 07:52 pm (Link)

Re: you are all missing an obvious point

From: (Anonymous) Date: March 13th, 2006 - 10:51 pm (Link)

on how an ass whole she is!

i hate that bitch for drinking at her age the mother fucking loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From: (Anonymous) Date: March 13th, 2006 - 10:52 pm (Link)

Re: on how an ass whole she is!

what the hell are you talking abot?
 

• Go to Top
LiveJournal.com