October 12th, 2005


Previous Entry Next Entry
08:54 pm - on comedic self-deprecation and the warrior jews....

(51 comments | Leave a comment)

 
on comedic self-deprecation and the warrior jews.... - graffiti.maverick — LiveJournal

• Recent Entries
• Friends
• Archive
> ChrisMaverick dot com
• profile


Art & Photography
> 365 Days of Mav
> Elseworld.com
> Mav's Flickr Stream
> MavTV (youtube)
> Party Nook

Wrestling
> International Males
> IWC Wrestling
> BDW Wrestling
> CWF Wrestling

Other
> 1KWFFH
> Mav's DVD Library
> Verdandi (currently down)
> Mav's Schedule (currently down)
> Mav's MySpace
chrismaverick. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Comments:


[User Picture]From: katieboyd Date: October 13th, 2005 - 04:49 am (Link)
That's because you haven't seen The Hebrew Hammer
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: October 13th, 2005 - 05:29 am (Link)
actually, I am aware of the film. But no, I haven't seen it.
[User Picture]From: katieboyd Date: October 13th, 2005 - 05:31 am (Link)
Actually, I haven't either. I actually told JE no when he wanted to rent it. However, it's just what came to mind with the talk of a "Warrior Jew", so I felt the need to post it.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: October 13th, 2005 - 05:39 am (Link)
I'll have to watch that and Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter the same night sometime... you know, I want to stay impartial and all.
[User Picture]From: katieboyd Date: October 13th, 2005 - 05:42 am (Link)
I think it still supports your point, if in an indirect way. Since it's a comedy that seems to be based on the absurdity of this "warrior Jew" it still reinforces, well, the absurdity of it, as well as continuing the self-depricatingness of jewish humor (if we accept that it's only funny because it's absurd).

Then, there's also Sameer's secret to comedy: other people's pain. Self-depricating commedians take advantage of the fact that their pain is not someone elses pain to the audience.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: October 13th, 2005 - 05:53 am (Link)
that's kind of my point. Humor is funny because we enjoy laughing at other people's pain. Savage argues that the French love laughing at Lewis because they hate jews and he's a stupid Jew. He argues the same about Allen and (he admits to a lesser extent) Seinfeld.

"Look at that Jew, he's lame. I'm so much better than that"

I honestly don't think the Jewishness of it comes into effect. Certainly Woody Allen hypes up the jewish stereotype in his comedy, but I don't think he does any more so than George Lopez or Chris Rock hype up their racial stereotypes. Or for that matter, than say Chris Farley or Artie Lange do their being fat. You write what you know.
[User Picture]From: dales Date: October 13th, 2005 - 05:35 am (Link)
What about "Nin-Jew"?
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: October 13th, 2005 - 05:36 am (Link)
that one, I am not familiar with...
From: (Anonymous) Date: October 16th, 2005 - 01:05 am (Link)

hammer

Yes the Hammer rocks! Good stuff
 

• Go to Top
LiveJournal.com