November 29th, 2006


Previous Entry Next Entry
02:20 am - on efil4zaggin...

(34 comments | Leave a comment)

 
on efil4zaggin... - graffiti.maverick — LiveJournal

• Recent Entries
• Friends
• Archive
> ChrisMaverick dot com
• profile


Art & Photography
> 365 Days of Mav
> Elseworld.com
> Mav's Flickr Stream
> MavTV (youtube)
> Party Nook

Wrestling
> International Males
> IWC Wrestling
> BDW Wrestling
> CWF Wrestling

Other
> 1KWFFH
> Mav's DVD Library
> Verdandi (currently down)
> Mav's Schedule (currently down)
> Mav's MySpace
chrismaverick. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Comments:


[User Picture]From: max1975 Date: November 29th, 2006 - 07:55 am (Link)
I wonder what the appropriate response to this sort of thing is. It seems like what people want is for the racist to offer the most sincere-sounding, heartfelt apology possible, and then to hate him forever anyway. Which seems maybe counter-productive. I think that racists, in all likelihood, vastly outnumber people who approve of racism. That is, people pretend not to be racists because they see what happens in a case like this, and they've even got themselves fooled...but they're still racists. So should we confront what we are and try to improve, or is the point just to play nice and avoid unfortunate outbursts?

Also, Seinfeld for $16.99? Dude!
From: ludimagist Date: November 29th, 2006 - 08:28 am (Link)
I saw a joke not long after this happened about it being a new trend for celebs whose careers were floundering getting a lot of free press for making an obnoxious remark in public followed by an insincere apology.
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: November 29th, 2006 - 03:16 pm (Link)
yeah... I'm not convinced that's not true. Its going to be the next celebrity sex tape. But, unlike the sex tape, in order to work the racist angle, I think you need to be relevant in some way to start with. Mel Gibson can work the jew hater gimmick because he was actually in the public light already. Kramer, not so much...
[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: November 29th, 2006 - 03:14 pm (Link)
I'm not sure we DO anything. Hating people is a God given right. The problem with crusades against racism is that there is no acceptable end game you can create in most circumstances. You can crusade for civil rights and make it illegal to discriminate. That's fine. You can educate on diversity in the hopes that people learn to appreciate it. But you simply can't force people to like things they don't want to. And in my opinion forcing them to pretend they do is all the more harmful. For instance, I am against forcing country clubs to admit black people if they don't want to. I find it quite convenient that racists have a place to hang out together that they like to go to because I'm not there. It keeps them away from all the places that I do go to. Why would I want to go play golf somewhere where everyone is quietly hating me?

Yep, to be fair, it might have really been a special for thanksgiving weekend and not just a discount of bad press. But it helped my little article there to point it out.
From: ludimagist Date: November 30th, 2006 - 12:16 am (Link)
Oh come on, those country clubs would totally let you in.

As a janitor.

Maybe as a busboy.

Just realize that the waiter positions are reserved so that their kids can network.

[User Picture]From: chrismaverick Date: November 30th, 2006 - 12:54 am (Link)
see, but I don't particularly want to work in such a place either. In fact, I'd like that even less than just hanging out there.
 

• Go to Top
LiveJournal.com